Over the course of the past week+ I've been gradually updating the look of the website! Apologies to anyone who might have visited and found it in a broken state - I really should set up a test server, but instead I work live. Apart from the visual change there have been some changes to the back-end as well:
- Switched from Galleria to Unite Gallery for all photo/video galleries. It gives a cleaner look AND better user experience on mobile.
- Revamped the Photographers page to be sexier.
- Added search functionality! It's far from perfect, but if you want to find every post that has ever mentioned a particular fandom or topic you can now do that.
- Tutorials now get pulled to the front page for better exposure
- Added share/tweet buttons to tutorials and blog posts
- Set up a commissions page to make it quick and easy to see if we're currently accepting commissions and a form to request a commission
- Sped up loading of images by building a MySQL backend for looking up images by tags or credit
- Automatically pull video data from Youtube to make sure we're always showing the most up-to-date information
- Add support for listing multiple costumes on a single day of an event (because when I set it up originally I didn't think we'd ever need that. I was wrong).
So, yeah! Lot's of changes. I still have a list of stuff I would love to add, but I have to get back to working on Dragon Con costumes! Maybe I'll get back to improving the site sometime in late September.
As you're almost certainly aware at this point, every year Tori and I do a new version of Hawkman and Hawkgirl. This year we'll be tackling a cyberpunk theme! This is really exciting, but it's also pretty different from past versions since it should feel clean and high tech. With that in mind I'm hoping to make the wings actually motorized this year! I tried to do that for the Atomic Hawks, but ran out of time to really work out the kinks. So this time, with a bit extra time before Dragon Con, I'm going to be taking a bunch of parts from ServoCity and doing two different versions of motorized wings. I'll try and take lots of pictures along the way and put up a tutorial or a walkthrough when I'm finished!
Full disclosure: by mentioning ServoCity I'll receive a discount on their products.
Originally posted this tutorial to my tumblr | if you have any questions, you can ask on our fb page: Cool By Proxy Productions , or shoot us an email!
This is the method I used for my Pool Party Maya Tattoos & Rhys' Neck tattoo at Dragon Con 2015 (I've also used it again for Maya's hip tattoo at PAX East 2016, and Scarlett & Janey's assorted tattoos). A lot of people were asking about them so I figured I'd make a little tutorial- it's a pretty easy method, it's just time consuming (as with all Siren tattoo methods). It's really a matter of what you want to spend your time on- messy body paint, or carefully cutting out and applying temporary tattoos!
Once again Dragon Con has come and gone. If you've just discovered us (likely due to images or activities at Dragon Con) then welcome! We'll be filling out our characters pages with pictures from the convention as they come in, but if you want to stay completely up to date then Facebook is going to be your best bet!
We'll likely be taking it easy over the next few months as we unwind, focus on the holidays, and then gear up for PAX South!
Welcome to Cool By Proxy Productions! We're a husband and wife team that like to make incredible costumes and props in our free time.